Damping resistors for a higher level of functional safety and service life
REO damping resistors can absorb and temporarily store higher impulse loads.
Thanks to the special winding technology, the wires of the damping resistors are separated spatially and therefore ensure a higher dielectric strength.
REO damping resistors are available in the protection classes IP00 to IP 65 and provide a high level of functional safety and service life.
- Higher level of mechanical protection
- Low susceptibility to vibrations and oscillations
REOHM series D 330
Watercooled, max. continous power: 60.000 W
- Resistance values: 1 - 100 Ohm
- Continuous power: 15000 - 60000 W
- max. operating voltage: 800 V
The REO braking resistor D 330 converts excess braking energy into useful heat and is thus ideally suitable for electrical or hybrid drives. The water cooling makes an additional space saving of up to 88% possible as compared to a traditional air-cooled braking resistor. As an extra feature, the resistor can easily be connected with drip-free quick fasteners. Due to a very high performance even in confined spaces the BWD 330 is ideal for the use in wind power technology, too. Harsh environmental conditions, such as salt spray are no problem with the high protection degree up to IP 69K.
As BW (Braking resistor)
When an electric machine operates as a generator (Electromotive brake), the brake resistor protects the machine from a voltage rise in the intermediate circuit. The current reduces als the speed of the machine.
As R (Charging resistor, damping resistor, filter resistance, etc.)
The charging resistor is a current limiting resistor for the charging and discharging of capacitors and limitates for example the current flowing into the intermediate circuit capacitor inrush current. For this the device must be designed for a high single pulse energy and nominal voltage. The inductance of the resistor contributes to limit the inrush current, so wirewound resistors are the right choice.
- Electrical or hybrid drives
- Wind power
- Industrial applications
Maximum energy with minimum space
- Protection IP20 up to IP69 K
- Test voltage 2,5 kV AC
- Other power ratings on request
- With temperature switch
REOhm series NTT R 159
Max. continous power: 1600 W
- Continuous power: 1600 W
- max. operating voltage: 4000 V
The REOhm NTT R 150 resistors are used for example in railway engineering, electric vehicles or commercial vehicles as charging or damping resistors (even as braking resistors up to 100 kw power). They are used to damp over-voltages or to dissipate excess energy that originates, for example, on braking or starting up. This is done by converting the electrical energy into heat in the resistor.
Moreover, the resistor is very well protected against mechanical loads. This ensures a long-term functional reliability. Only railways-approved, high-quality raw materials are used for the REOhm NTT R 150 series. The connecting leads and all the other components are specially designed for the railway application. Only materials with railway approval are used.
- Railway engineering
- Electrical vehicles
- Testing according to BN 411 002 (DIN EN 50155 point 10.2)
- Climatic testing
- Testing Db: moist heat, cyclical (12 + 12 hours cycle) Variant 1
- according to DIN EN 60068-2-30
- (DIN EN 50155 Point 10.2.5)
- Tests for vibrations and shocks according to DIN EN 61373, Category 1 Class B
- Testing with undefined assembly position under the most stringent conditions in every axis.
- Simulated service life test through increased broadband noise (Point 9 DIN EN 61373)
- Shock test (point 10 DIN EN 61373)
- Corrosion test
- Testing Ka: salt spray according to DIN EN 60068-2-11 (DIN EN 50155 point 10.2.10)
Moreover the type test also includes:
- heating-up measurement
- high-voltage test
- insulation measurement (DIN EN 50155 point 10.2.9)
- measurement of the resistance value
- visual inspection (DIN EN 50155 point 10.2.1)
REOHM series NTT R D 158
Max. continous power: 2600 W
- Resistance values: 0,1 - 1 Ohm
- Continuous power: 100 - 1210 W
- max. operating voltage: 4200 V
The resistor NTT RD 158 is a water-cooled damping resistor, which is used for traction in railway applications. The resistor is used in series with filter capacitors in the 1.5 kV and 3 kV DC network.
For this purpose, the device must be designed for a high single pulse energy and nominal voltage. The inductance of the resistor contributes to limit the inrush current - here are wirewound resistors the right choice.
The advantage of the resistance unit NTT R D158 is that 4 damping resistors are housed in one unit. This means a compact construction and low cost when connecting the resistor.
REO high-voltage resistors are designed, produced and certified specifically for the railway technology. The specially designed winding technology allows a higher withstand voltage due to the spatial separation of the wires. The use of railway-compatible, high quality materials, together with the complete encapsulation in profile design lead to protection classes up to IP 65.
Maximum energy with minimum space
- Continuous output: 2600 W
- Max. operating voltage: 4200V
- Resistance value: 0,1 - 1Ohm
- Average pulse load: 1x per hour 20kWs - within 100ms
- Maximum pulse load: 20x per year 120kWs -within 20ms
- Protection class: IP00-IP65
- Other ratings upon request
REOhm series R 157
Max. continous power: 300 W
- Resistance values: 20 - 8000 Ohm
- Continuous power: 150 - 300 W
- max. operating voltage: 4200 V
High voltage resistor for drives with frequency converters of small to medium output, installation close to the frequency converter. They are used to damp over-voltages or to dissipate excess energy that originates, for example, on braking or starting up. This is done by converting the electrical energy into heat in the resistor.
Due to their special application, these resistors are are subject to special requirements. Highest reliability and durability combined with an extreme resistance to adverse environmental impacts are therefore absolutely necessary.
- Protection ratings IP 20 / IP 40 / IP 54
- Higher IP ratings upon request
- Test voltage: 10,5 kV DC und 8,3 kV AC
- Other ratings and fastening dimensions upon request
Protection RatingsDiscover our brochure about high protection ratings!Download
Resistors Product catalogueProduct catalogue for ResistorsDownload
Components for wind power generation CatalougeREO components for wind power generation Safe application for onshore and offshore installationsDownload
Braking resistors OverviewREO Braking- and charging resistors The product range at a glanceDownload
Liquid-cooled componentsLiquid-cooled components The product range at a glanceDownload
Highest protection classes for highest requirementsREO Braking resistorsDownload
REOLOAD 300Water cooled load bankDownload
REOHM BW D 330High efficiency in a small designDownload
High-voltage resistors of REOHigh reliability and long service lifeDownload